Saturday, May 17, 2008

Like a Kid in a Candy Store

My session at the IIOC is tomorrow, so today I have been bouncing around from session to session listening to the presentations that interest me most. The problem is that there are about a dozen sessions going on simultaneously. I am not interested in all of them but I am usually interested in more than one at the same time. I usually will go a whole year without seeing a presentation on telecom or pharma, but today I saw a half dozen on each and missed a half dozen that I would like to have seen. Besides these, there have been papers on innovation and methods that I have had to miss.

The other problem is how to bounce around surreptitiously. We all do it but its kinda rude to walk out on a presentation, especially when there are only a dozen folks in the audience. I try to find a break between papers and sneak out. This does not always work because, often, I will have just met up with a some of the presenters, they have seen me in the room and they see that I am gone when it is their turn. So, I am a jerk but that is an occupational hazard.

Another characteristic of economists is that we are cheap. Tonight there will be an open bar (actually four bars). What, price is zero? I predict they run out of booze.

No comments: