Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Work Progress

I am going to try to post at the end of each day on the progress I have made toward completing my projects. Today, I had lunch with four of my colleagues (Marianne Saam, Katrin Schleife, Bettina Müller, and Andrea Mühlenweg), I met with the president of ZEW, Wolfgang Franz, for 15 minutes, met briefly with Martin Peitz and discussed my current project with Jörg Ohnemus. Nice networking if I do say so myself.

As far as my current project goes, I am trying to see the impact of an online electronic database of past journal articles on future journal article production. I have data on all articles published in the last 30 years and when different institutions obtained access to JSTOR. There is a knotty problem is parsing the journal data into actual institution affiliation. The problem emerges because sometimes "Univ Texas" refers to Austin and sometimes to its satellite campuses. This occurs in other states too. Since I expect a bigger impact in non-flagship schools, I want to make sure I identify them correctly. A way to solve this is to use the zip code of the author to place him on a campus. Well, I hit upon a new algorithm to do this and it looks like it will be able to extract the zip code for 99.9% of US affiliations. On a five point scale of work productivity, today was a three.

1 comment:

Michael said...

Whoo, sounds more like a 4+ out of 5 day to me. Enjoying your posts, great pics/nice chat.