Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Back to School

I have been busy attending Summer School. The ZEW is holding a Summer Workshop on "The Economics and Econometrics of Innovation." My research is getting back to these issues and so it is useful to get up to speed with the current issues, data and methods. So, I am in "class" with all "the other" graduate students and new Ph.Ds. Morning sessions are by established researchers summarizing a line of research and afternoons are "student" presentations. I got a few good ideas on how to solve some problems with projects I am working on. I am also able to provide some comments to the other "students" on their projects. Some of them are helpful.

[Note to my kids who like their Summers free from school. Dad is weird. He likes school. Since dad has his doctorate (and, more importantly, tenure) he does not have to get any more education. But he is still choosing to go to summer school. Here is hoping that my kids will be similarly weird.]

After the Summer School, the ZEW is hosting a conference on "The Impact of Regulation on Investment and Innovation Incentives." That will be fun to attend too.

Anyway, I am only able to work on my own stuff in the evenings and am not getting much done.
Work progress:
Monday 1/5
Tuesday 0/5
Wednesday 1/5

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What classes? econometric techniques?

tim

Michael Ward said...

Yup. I am learning lots.

Anonymous said...

I'll trade you. Revealed preferences and all :) The teaching load is killing me and I just want to do some research. Heck I am living vicariously through you in Germany and another friend who is in the process of moving to India. Enjoy yourself and I look forward to hearing your stories when you get back.

tim