Monday, June 2, 2008

Wien day two

So I did day one of the tourist thing. I did all the things my family hates about me on vacations.
  • I walked a lot.
  • No, I mean a lot - including museum corridors, possibly 10 miles or more.
  • I went to stuffy old art and history museums.
  • I constantly changed my mind on what to do next.
  • I got turn around (at least once), but insisted on figuring it out myself rather than asking anyone.
  • I missed a metro stop and had to backtrack.
I travel this way this because I don't have to worry about what they will say and, as a consequence, I don't have them to remind me how to travel more sensibly.

In the morning, I went to the Imperial Palace. A nice thing they did to personalize the tour was to take you through the life of Empress Elizabeth (or "Sisi"). Then I walked the Ringstrasse, a loop around the old city that oozes the Viennese lifestyle. I took particular care to see the University of Vienna, where THE Austrian School of Economics started. I stopped for lunch at a cafe - I had only had a pastry for breakfast and was hungry. I ate well but decided to have a beer with it. A mistake. All I wanted afterward was a nap. Instead, I just dawdled over lunch for a while to recover.

Then, onto the Belvedere, a magnificent schloss and now an art museum. I came back downtown for my afternoon coffee and am resting before going out in the evening. I hope to stick my toe in the Danube. It won't be blue for long.

No comments: