Monday, June 23, 2008

Travels to Munich I

I let work early on Friday and took a train to Munich about 360 km (225 mi) in three hours. From my apartment to the hotel in four hours with no airport hassle, no driving and hot coffee serve to my seat - how cool is that?

I got in around 8:00 Friday and walked around the Marianplatz (the main pedestrian area) to get a meal and scout out the next day. On Saturday, I walked all over. First, I went to Assamkirche, a sumptuous church in which there is not a square foot without some sort of elaborate ornamentation.
Next, I went by the Viktualienmarkt, a daily victualing market like none I had ever seen before. Initially gourmet restaurants would buy their fresh foods here. Now, everyone comes to the 140 stalls of vegetables, fruits, flowers, meats, spices, cheese, fish, juices etc. Here are two stalls.

A short walk to Marianplatz, the main square, which is dedicated to the virgin Mary. The dominant structure here is the Neue Rathaus (New Town Hall).


The Frauenkirche (full name Dom zu unserer lieben Frau) is magnificent. You do not quite get how big it is until you are right on top of it. Here is the front door, five times the size of a human.

The square in front is small, so this is all the perspective I could get from there.

Here is a stained glass window.
I toured the Residenz (the palace of the rulers of Bavaria). Unfortunately, my camera's batteries lost their juice just before I entered the Residenz. This tour was extensive with many wonderful rooms. Wikipedia offers a couple of photos though. The first is the Antiquarium, a huge vault holding antique statues used later as a banquet hall.


Another photo is from the Treasury Museum attached to the Residenz tour and depicts a 16th century jewel encrusted statue of Saint George slaying the dragon.



I was able to climb the tower of the Alter Peter kirche (Saint Peters Church) just beside Marianplatz. This finally prvides some perspective on the Rathaus and Frauenkirche.


Finally, as I went back to the hotel, I saw a street artist in Marianpltaz painting a picture of Marianplatz as it might have looked 200 years ago. Pretty cool.

1 comment:

The Clever Pup said...

Im glad you liked munich. I love it there.